Leon Paul Junior Series
The Leon Paul Junior Series (LPJS) is the best way to start fencing competitively. Aimed specifically for young fencers who want to compete in a fun, safe environment. There are over 30 competitions nationwide and athletes’ ages range from 7 to 17. Fencing is a great way to keep fit but to develop your skills you need to fence under competition conditions against different opposition. Some fencers attend just one or two competitions each year, while others will compete in several, trying to collect the ranking points needed to climb up the LPJS ranking tables and win a prize. Virtually all of the successful young fencers in the country started their careers in LPJS competitions.
A complete set of kit for a competition would comprise (starting from the feet and working up):
• Fencing shoes or trainers
• Breeches (350 Newtons)
• Tee shirt
• Under Plastron (350 Newtons for U9, 11 and 13; 800 Newtons for U15 and U17)
• Chest protector (required for girls, and many boys also wear them)
• Fencing jacket (350 Newtons)
• Lame – the electric vest worn over the jacket (Foil and Sabre only)
• Body wire
• Electric weapons. (At least 2)
• Membership card of BF (British Fencing)
Brixton can help provide this but we recommend fencers invest in their own kit.
This is an excellent guide for all starting LPJS: http://www.leonpauljuniorseries.com/?q=node/24